Inspired from Skinny chicken and avocado caesar salad
and Salade César
Comment: This recipe does not pretend to be the real Caesar salad recipe, but it is effective and certainly better than what we are served in many restaurants.
There are several degrees of sophistication for this recipe, either a simple dressing, then depending on time and ingredients available, we add lardons (almost essential), croutons (also essential), and roasted garlic.
The roasted garlic is optional, but adds an interesting taste, however it requires a little more preparation.
It can be prepared in a small pan in 15 minutes. If so, once finished, let the EVOO cool and use it for the sauce. Crushed roasted garlic can be added to the sauce in place of chopped garlic.
You can also add hard-boiled or poached eggs, avocado or grilled chicken to the salad.
Makes 200 ml (1 smll cup) of sauce or 4 portions (for a lettuce head).
1 head of washed romaine lettuce, cut up (see below)
1+ cloves of garlic, finely chopped or grated
2 anchovy fillets or anchovy puree or 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
juice of 1/2 lemon (no more)
1 teaspoon of Dijon
100 g of good quality mayonnaise
50 g grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
S + P
150 g smoked bacon cut in lardons
2 cloves of garlic for the croutons
6+ thin slices of baguette for the croutons (6-7 mm)
2 or 3 cloves of roasted garlic (opt - to replace chopped garlic)
Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings to serve
4 eggs, poached or boiled,
1 large (or 2 smaller) sliced avocados
2 grilled chicken breasts, sliced
Prepare optional items if necessary: eggs, avocado (thinly sliced)
Prepare the croutons:
- rub the baguette slices on both sides with the garlic cloves cut in half.
- cut the slices into croutons (~1 cm) and fry them in a little EVOO or butter until golden.
Prepare the bacon:
- brown the lardons in a pan, let them drain on a paper towel.
Prepare the salad:
- Wash the salad, remove the bottom part of the larger leaves, cut the leaves in half on the rib (except if you are in a hurry) and cut in width into strips of ~2 cm.
- Spin, reserve.
Prepare the sauce:
- Thin the mayonnaise with the lemon juice and 3 or 4 tablespoons of EVOO.
- Add the other ingredients (grated garlic, grated parmesan, anchovies, S + P), mix well.
- mix the salad and the sauce well. Add the croutons and bacon. Coarsely mix.
- Arrange a few Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings on top.
- Add optional elements if necessary.